Ticket to Ride: Europe - Board Game Box Shot

Ticket to Ride: Europe

| Published: 2005
Ticket to Ride Europe title

From the craggy hillsides of Edinburgh to the sunlit docks of Constantinople, from the dusty alleys of Pamplona to a windswept station in Berlin, Ticket to Ride Europe takes you on an exciting train adventure through the great cities of turn-of-the-century Europe.

The second installment in our best-selling Ticket to Ride series of train adventures, Ticket to Ride Europe takes you into the heart of Europe. In addition to the new board map, Ticket to Ride Europe offers you brand new game play elements including Tunnels, Ferries and Train Stations. We've also upgraded you to First-Class accommodations with larger cards, new Train Station game pieces, and a lavishly illustrated game board.

When Alan R. Moon, the game designer, and we embarked on this new adventure, we worked hard to make sure we'd bring you more than just a new map, but rather a whole new game experience on the tracks of turn-of-the-century Europe.

Ticket to Ride Europe box and contents
images © Days of Wonder

User Reviews (27)

Filter by: Order by:
Gamer - Level 3
Rated 25 Games
40 of 41 gamers found this helpful
“Our favorite version of TtR”

I’ll get this out of the way first – my score/rating is a bit biased on TtR because my wife loves the game. Not that I don’t enjoy it too (In fact, I enjoy it very much as well), but having this be THE game to play with my wife makes it a clear winner for me, as she does not enjoy a lot of games I play.

Introduction: We love the original TtR, but I always felt something was missing. 2 of my gaming buddies own the USA version, and we have played it a handful of times. My wife wanted me to order it after we played our first game, but I hesitated. Flash forward to 4 months later, and still I hadn’t bought it. Wife still loved the game, but I couldn’t bring myself to purchasing since we had access to it. However, I had been hearing great things about TtR: Europe, and I got a deal that version online recently and decided to add it to my wife’s anniversary gift(s).

Once I read the rulebook, I was immmediately intrigued. See, in the base game, you are dealt your cards and tickets from the start, and other than choosing your action/each turn (draw 2, take 2 from the offer, take tickets, or claim a route), there isn’t much more. There really isn’t much risk or surprise to me in the base game, other than what you draw (or if someone takes a route you needed).

Europe: Now, in Europe, one issue with the base game is eliminated right off the bat – big tickets. Each person is dealt one of the 6 big tickets at the start, plus 3 regular tickets (of which you must keep at least two). This balances out the large tickets every game.

Next, you have wild cards/locomotives. In the base game, they were just a nice occasional bonus, but not necessary at all. Here, they are a much sought after commodity. You NEED them to access ferry routes (1-2 locomotives for each ferry route), so they go much faster and become more useful. This was a very nice addition.

Then, you have tunnels. When claiming a tunnel, you must play the number of cards to claim the route PLUS flip over three cards from the draw deck. If any match the color you played, you must match from your hand or lose the route (returning cards to your hand). This extra element of risk greatly enhances the game, and once in particular made my wife nearly throw her cards across the room…lol (very unlucky flips! she lost the route, and I claimed it next Turn).

Lastly, you have Stations. every player gets 3, they cost 1, 2 and 3 cards respectively to play (matching color). These help you merge into a “stolen” route, when another player has blocked you (thus removing arguably one strategy of the main game, but yet adding its own). Each unused Station is worth 4 points at the end, so you must use them sparingly/wisely.

All of these additions don’t change too much of the base game, but add just enough for us to make this perfection. The added risk elements and added usefulness of wild cards, coupled with the improved balance, makes this version shine without adding too much complexity or fiddling. It’s still reliant on some luck of the draw, but the changes help mix it up and keep it fresh and exciting.

I am very happy with the purchase, and I’m glad this is the version I bought. Highly recommended, even the wife gives this one two thumbs up and loved the additions. Knowing she will never turn down a game, and will stay invested in the game through the end, is a huge plus (and extremely rare). If you only buy one version of TtR, this is the one.

BoardGaming.com Beta 1.0 Tester
Poland
Petroglyph
36 of 37 gamers found this helpful
“One of my top 3 gateway games”

When I look for new games to buy (and i don’t have anything specific on my radar), I usually have two basic criteria: will The Wife play it? and will it go well with non-gamers? Ticket to Ride scored 10/10 on both accounts.

Gameplay
The main idea in this game is to build railroad routes between cities to complete tasks (“tickets”). The ticket will tell you to build a route between city A and city B and will reward you with some points for doing so. You also get points for actually building the route parts, so sometimes it is beneficial just to build something anywhere, even if it’s not a part of your ticket.

Building routes requires playing several same-colored cards, so the next most important part of the game is collecting sets of those cards. Some routes may be completed by any color, some have to be filled wit hspecific cards. You can draw the cards from a visible set of 5 cards or you can test your luck and draw random face-down cards. There are also wildcards matching any color (some routes actually require them too).

Interaction
Interaction in Ticket to Ride is… variable, which is in my opinion one of the stronger points of the game. It comes in two flavors: you can build routes in the spots you opponent wants, thus blocking them and / or you can ****** the card colors they need for their routes. Depending on the number of players, your strategy and some luck of the draw, you may want to mess with your opponents to a lesser or greater degree. Of course the more players, the bigger chance of the map getting crowded and subsequently, more blocking. Two player games tend to be relaxed and solitaire-y, while five player games usually end up a bit tense. Most of the times though you can get around it by using a different route ar by placing a station.

Luck factor
On the surface, the game is very random. The tickets you draw are random (meaning your goals are too), the cards you draw are semi-random – so theoretically there is a lot of luck in the final score. After one or two plays though you will see the layer of strategy. Do I hoard train cards for a long time and then build several routes or do I build as soon as I have anough trains for one route? Do I go for my most expensive ticket as soon as I can, thus revealing my most important goal or do I intentionally obscure my priorities to my opponents? Do I hunt for specific colors of train cards from the face-up deck, or do I get lots of random cards and try to get statistics work in my favor?

Dont get me wrong, there is still a lot of luck involved in the game, but there are also several tools for you to manage it – if you choose to use them.

Impressions
Personally, I did not like Tictet to Ride very much after my first play. I thought it was okay, but nothing worth writing home about. Recently however, I had the chance of introducing several friends to board games and TtR shone brightly in that aspect. I even realized I began to like the game myself :)

The game is light, even when there is some blocking involved, gives you just enough downtime to socialize (but not enough to get bored) and has quite a nice replay value (could be better with more expensive tickets but that can be solved with a “Europe 1912″ Expansion).

Overall – if you are looking for a light casual game or a gateway, you can’t go wrong with Tickets.

USA
The Gold Heart
I play black
Knight-errant
38 of 40 gamers found this helpful
“Future Gamers' Gateway to the Past”

Sunday night is game night at the Gamer Bling household, with the Gamer Bling Official Companion, Gamer Bling Expansion #1, and Gamer Bling Expansion #2.

Each one gets to choose the game of the week in rotation. Recently, that game was Ticket to Ride: Europe, as chosen by Gamer Bling Expansion #1.

The Promise

Ticket to Ride: Europe promises to take you “on a new train adventure through the great cities of turn-of-the-century Europe,” a promise that is reinforced by the appearance of five different people dressed in five different colors, all looking happy and adventurous.

Curiously, the game also promises that you can “erect lavish train stations” and become “Europe’s greatest train magnate,” goals that seem far beyond the reach of most of the people on the cover, especially the schoolgirl in yellow and the sooty engineer with the wrench and oilcan.

So… adventure or capitalism? Already Gamer Bling begins to wonder who the heck writes their marketing text.

The Delivery

Despite the personable faces on the front cover, you do not play a person adventuring by train. You are, in fact, much closer to a train magnate. However, unlike what you might have experienced in Sid Meier’s venerable Railroad Tycoon, the tracks you lay do not even have to be contiguous.

The map is a very nicely rendered and thematic map of Europe before The Great War. Single and double train routes connect the various cities. Each route is colored to show what sort of cards a player must discard to gain control of that route.

Broken down to its most basic mechanics, the game is a mix of set collection and territory grabbing. Each turn, you either acquire cards for a set (either by taking a face-up card or via a blind draw from the deck), or else discard a set of cards from your hand to claim a route that matches the cards in quantity and color.

Players score points by claiming routes (longer routes are worth proportionately more) and by connecting the cities listed on your “tickets,” which are basically secret missions.

There is a bit of passive conflict inasmuch as you can claim a route that someone else may want, but there is no overt attacking. The ability to place train stations to allow you to use another player’s route to improve your score mitigates any potential hostility that would erupt over contested routes.

Tunnels also allow for a bit of a gamble; when claiming a tunnel route, it costs 0-3 more cards than its list price, as determined randomly by deck draws.

Finesse

Color-matching games are problematic for the colorblind, but Days of Wonder very nicely has symbols unique to each color. Thus even those with complete colorblindess can play by matching symbols on their cards to the symbols on the map.

In addition, since the game pieces are (a) limited in quantity and (b) used as a game-end timer, DoW very nicely includes extras in a separate baggie to replace any that get eaten by your dog or your toddler.

Skills

As a homeschool parent, Gamer Bling believes in seizing every opportunity for learning. Here’s what the kids can learn or practice with Ticket to Ride: Europe.

Long-Term Planning: Connecting a city in Spain with one in Russia requires forethought. It’s a long route, with a lot of links and multiple paths to select from.

Geography: It is, in fact, a map of Europe. Even if it is 1910. At least the kids can learn where the cities basically are, even if the borders have changed. However, the city names are rendered in the local language. Rome is Roma, Vienna is Wien, and Istanbul is Constantinople. This is cool for adults, but less so for kids. But at least the Russian cities are not rendered in Cyrillic.

Family Game Night Value

This is a very accessible gateway game, easy to learn, easy to play, and fun to complain about when the cards aren’t falling your way. Better yet, with the secret-mission Ticket cards remaining hidden until the end of the game, you can’t tell who’s going to win until it’s all over.

It is a regular in the rotation at the Gamer Bling table.

TL;DR

This was an instant hit in the Gamer Bling family. And from everything Gamer Bling has experienced and heard, it is the best of the Ticket to Ride line of games.

Buy it.

And thank you for taking the time to read a Gamer Bling Sunday Night Review.

I'm a Player!
25 of 26 gamers found this helpful
“Fun and easy to play - a good staple in my collection”

If you like trains, locomotives, and board games, Ticket to Ride is a must have. Ticket to Ride: Europe is a fast paced game that is very easy to learn with games ranging from 30 mins to 1 hour (Depending on the audience and experience of the players)

Overall Gameplay

The game can be learned in less than 10 minutes as the instructions are very clear and the design of the game is clean and simple. The game requires players to think and plan ahead in order to map out the best route possible to complete their destination tickets. As players gain knowledge of the game and the possible ticket routes, intensity level rises (players will begin blocking each other, etc).

The Game

1. Initial board setup
2. Tickets are randomly distributed (3 short routes, 1 long route)
3. Randomize player order
4. Players can do one of the following on their turn.
.Draw train cards
.Build one segment of a route
.Construct a train station
.Draw 3 new tickets (must keep atleast 1)
5. Players record their points based on the segments they build
6. Players strive to complete tickets in order to gain points

Game continues until one person has 2 or less trains remaining at any given time which triggers the last turn ending with the person who triggered the end game sequence. Then points are tallied and player with the most points win.

Strengths

-game is easy to setup and learn
-games are quick
-fast paced (turns don’t take forever)
-colourful board and components
-random element in drawing train/tickets (if you like luck!)
-up to 5 players
-has expansions

Weaknesses

-limited strategies available
-train cards are subject to wear and tear
-luck based on drawing
-the game does not promote interaction or communication between players

Conclusion

Ticket to Ride is one of the most played board game in my collection as it is easy to setup and is light on the brain (just the right balance if you don’t want to think too hard). The game is a great addition to anyone’s board game collection as it is suitable for all ages due to its simple and clean game mechanics. This game is also an excellent game to introduce to non-gamers as I will guarantee that they will be asking for more which is why many people consider Ticket to Ride games as a gateway board game. In my opinion, I find the Europe version more fun than the USA version due to a more clustered map and the implementation of the tunnels which gives it a challenging kick. Definitely a good investment!

36 of 38 gamers found this helpful
“Even better than the original.”

This is by far my favorite version of the TTR series. For more information on how the general game play works see my comments in the original version. I will mostly be talking about differences here.

There are three differences in rules in the Europe version. On top of those the cards are larger, I really don’t like the small cards in the original version. I know you can buy expansions now that give you a full set of cards that are larger, but it’s not worth the money to me. The first difference is that there are tunnels that are harder to build. For example there may be a purple connection that needs two trains, but it’s a tunnel. So you announce you want to try and build a purple tunnel and first three cards are turned up from the top of the train cards. For each of the cards that are turned up that are purple (since that is the color you’re trying to build) you would need an extra card. So for this 2 train connection if you were unlucky you would need 5 cards to build it on this turn. You have the option to not build, either because you don’t want to or don’t have the cards, and you can try again on another turn, but you can’t do anything else on your turn so you effectively lose your turn. The second change is when going over bodies of water you need to build a ferry. For each of these routes a certain number of locomotives are pictured, this tells how many wild cards you have to have in your set. The last rule change are train stations. When you get blocked on a connection, you can now build a train station at one end and use your opponent’s connection as your own.

Probably the biggest difference that makes this game the best for me is the lengths of the destination routes. There are 6 long routes (worth around 20 points) and everybody gets one of those in their initial 3 routes. You can still throw it out if you want, but usually you want to keep it. From here on out there are no more long routes, I think the longest after that is only 13. I think this just makes things more even and doesn’t allow somebody to get those two long routes that are basically the same route so the scores will be more competitive. If you are looking to buy one version of TTR, this is the one you want.

Gamer - Level 6
Amateur Advisor
Strategist
36 of 38 gamers found this helpful
“A great way to change up the original”

A lot of people say that they prefer this version or that version of Ticket. Personally, I like most all the versions, and just think they are a great way to change things up and not let the game get stale.

Ticket Europe is simple, fairly quick, and fun. You spend the game trying to make your own routes, preventing your friends from connecting their routes, and trying to have your routes be in a continuous line for longest route.

The game is fairly simple. You start out with routes to complete, and cards to complete them with. You can pick a few of the routes you drew, or all of them (been playing expansions recently, can’t remember how many for the basic version), and then get started.

Playing trains between cities is how you complete a route. The number of segments in the route are how many cards you need, and the color of the route is the color the cards need to be. For the grey routes, it can be any color, but they must be the same color (eg, you go for a 2 segment grey, you can use 2 blues/greens/reds/etc, but you cannot use a blue and a red, that’s just crazy, there are rules). Locomotives(rainbow cards) can be used as any color, but if there are darkened locomotive(s) on the route, you need that many to complete the route.

On your turn you can do one of three things. You can draw cards, which is the most common action. This involves drawing some combination of 2 cards from the 5 face up cards(everyone knows what you’re going for) and the draw pile(you don’t know what you’re getting). If there is a locomotive face up, you can draw that, but it takes up both your card draws.

The second thing you can do is place trains, which was described above. The third option is drawing new routes. If you have completed your routes, or are confident you will soon, or simply want to be bold and daring, you can draw a few new cards (again, the specific number escapes me). You must keep one of them each time you do this.

As you go, you score routes. 1 segements – 1 points, 2s – 2p, 3s – 4p, 4s – 7p, 5s – 10p, 6s – 15p. Points are tracked with the tokens around the outside of the board. At the end of the game, any routes you completed add their value (the number in the corner) to your score. Any incomplete routes subtract from your score. 10 extra points are awarded for the longest continuous route.

All in all, this game is a ton of fun with many expansions that offer a large degree of variability and fun new tasks, goals, and maps.

BoardGaming.com Beta 2.0 Tester
Went to Gen Con 2012
BoardGaming.com Bronze Supporter
Advanced Reviewer
50 of 54 gamers found this helpful
“I Think Its Better Then the US Version”

Played last night for the first time in a few years and really enjoyed it. I own and play the USA version occasionally so it was nice to mix it up with a different board and a few more game mechanics.

OVERALL GAME PLAY: Ticket to Ride is a simple game where players are collecting colored train cards to connect two cities as a route. At the beginning of the game the players are given Destination Tickets that will combine several routes. Point are awarded exponentially for completing routes (4pt for a three train track, 7pts for a four train track, and so on) and also rewarded points for completing Destination Tickets. Destination Tickets not completed at the end of the game count as a negative. The game ends when one player only has two trains left to place. At this point everyone has one turn left.

There are a few differences, other than the board, in the Ticket to Ride: Europa Version.

TUNNELS: Tunnels are a new aspect of the game that add a level of fun and frustration to the game play. Once you are ready to lay a route and have the cards for it you declare the route. At that time you turn over three cards from the draw deck. If any of them are the color of your route or include a wild then you have to pay an extra card of the color for every matching card to complete the route.

For instance, you have a route of three yellow trains. Your draw your three cards from the deck and there is a blue, yellow, and wild. You will have to pay two extra yellows for the yellow and wild.

WILDS: Not too crazy of an idea, but different from the US version, there are some routes where you must have wild card to complete it. Just a little twist.

STATIONS: Stations are little building that you can play on a city to piggy back on some one else’s route who has cut you off from your destination. These little guys can help when you lose a route and don’t see an easy way around.

IN CONCLUSION: As with the other Ticket to Ride games I have played the art work and quality is great. The game play is fantastic. I love the feeling when your side of the board is starting to get full and you’re not sure if the next player is going to take your route or if you’re going to make it to your destination. While the player interaction is at its highest level, this aspect of the game does bring that out. The Ticket to Ride series is a great game for all gamers of any level.

United Kingdom
Intermediate Reviewer
Video Game Fan
29 of 31 gamers found this helpful
“All aboard the fun train!”

Ticket to Ride: Europe is a great game that is simple enough for anybody to learn with a great train theme.

But I don’t like trains! Should I give this a miss?

Absolutely not, you don’t have to be a train fanatic to enjoy this game.

OK, talk me through it.

The Ticket to Ride: Europe game board is a map of Europe with major cities marked on it. There are also coloured blocks on the map linking these cities together. These are the train routes that you will claim during the game. At the start of the game you will be given 4 tickets, each of which have two cities on. At the end of the game, if you have a continuous route between these two cities you get the number of points shown on the card, but if you don’t you will lose that many points. From your 4 tickets you must keep 2 of them, but you can throw the rest away if you want to.

So I’ve got my tickets, how to I join them up?

On your turn you can do one of 4 things on your turn – take train cards, claim a route, take more tickets or build a station.

There is a big deck of train cards, most of which has a colour corresponding to the coloured blocks on the map, and there are also some wildcards that can represent any colour. You will have five of these cards face up and the rest in a pile face down. You can choose to take two of these cards on your turn, either from the cards that are face up or from the face down deck. The only exception to this is if you choose to take a wildcard that is face up you may only take that one card on your turn.

The next option you have for your turn is to claim a route. To do this you need to lay down the same number of cards in the same colour as the blocks on the board that connect two cities (you can of course use wildcards to represent any colour). If the route on the board is grey then you can use any colour of card, as long as they are all the same. If the grey block has the train symbol on it then you must use a wildcard for that block, and if there is a thick border on the block then that represents a tunnel. When you try to claim a tunnel you turn over the top three cards from the train deck (discarding them), and if any of those cards match the colour that you are using to claim the tunnel, you have to discard an additional card of that colour to claim the tunnel. After claiming a route you place some of your plastic trains on the board and get some points, with longer routes earning more points.

You can also choose to take new tickets on your turn. You draw 3 new tickets, and you must keep at least 1.

Finally you can choose to place a station. This lets you use an opponents route as your own when deciding if the two cities on your tickets are connected at the end of the game.

And that’s it.

Sounds simple enough!

It is simple. Really simple. Basically your collecting sets of coloured cards and spending them to get points. It doesn’t get much simpler, and that means that anyone can play this. And although it is simple there is strategy to it due to the limited routes available, so you can join the cities on your tickets but you can also cause havoc for other players by blocking them. Should you claim the route you really need early in the game, or will you alert other players to your plans? Or should you ignore your tickets entirely and just claim the long routes worth the most points? There will be cursing. There will be cheering. There will be sighs of relief. There will be fun had by all.

First class!

Er, quite…

Arrowhead
Knight-errant
Time Well Spent - Games
37 of 40 gamers found this helpful
“Favorite Ticket to Ride (So Far...)”

I really like Ticket to Ride. The whole franchise is great. If you want to see what I think about the game play, see my review of Ticket to Ride (US map). I prefer the Europe version because, well, its Europe. I”m a Social Studies teacher, and I feel like EVERYTHING is USA based, so I was glad to see a map of somewhere else. Learning how to pronounce the names is fun, using some geography skills is good to find places, and the 1912 theme is great. The addition of the tunnels makes the game a bit more random and adds moments of tension that I enjoy.

What I like most about the Europe version is that it is not so “square.” See, my only real problem with the original map is that it feels somewhat balanced in its area. The whole map is like one big square, and you could literally build a ring around the map with your trains and do a decent job racking up the points. In Europe, the map seems a little ‘off-kilter’ compared to the US map. Some cities are used a whole lot more often than others, and the map seems to present more of a challenge. Others may disagree, but I find this to be an awesome change of the game. You really have to think of which region of the board you want to build towards, because you can’t build a circle around the map (it really is not possible). I”m having trouble articulating the point, but it has a different feel to it.

Also, you should add the 1912 Expansion to the game (but don’t use the warehouses, they are annoying) and try the Big Cities version of the game. Having more tickets makes the game much more enjoyable.

25 of 28 gamers found this helpful
“Good, better than the Ticket to Ride with US map.”

I am no fan of the first version, aka Ticket to Ride, mainly because of the US map and the cut throat play, it has a hardcore feel to it. This version feels different, more family friendly perhaps, with the addition of ferries, tunnels and train stations, better map. Still it isn’t my favorite, Ticket to Ride Marklin is and would be my pick. The Marklin map is well laid out and gorgeous. The single addition of the passenger figures that are added to the game, to me, makes Marklin the best one. The passengers are used to pick up merchandise tokens scoring points. This adds a needed sub-strategy element to the game. The long and short routes are well thought out, too. Marlin does suffer more than the Europe version with geography location problems, it is mostly a German cities map. I have to use a player’s aid, a printed map/photo of the board with a grid A-Z down one side, 0-9 on the top with the names of the countries and cities listed by their [A-Z] [0-9] coordinates under the map. Given where you are sitting the problem can be worst. i.e. viewing the map upside down. Still Ticket to Ride: Europe is a pretty game,an excellent game and your kids will learn a little European geography from it. If they hadn’t released the Marklin version, it would be my pick.

Canada
Gamer - Level 6
17 of 19 gamers found this helpful
“Slowly Changing from a Train Hater to a Train Lover”

Trains, some people love them and other people hate them, where do you sit? Personally ever since I played the original Ticket to Ride I have been against train games. A few things changed that, first I picked up Trains from AEG, its a Deck/Route Building Game which let me play a “Train Game” without all the focus being on the trains, and even better they just used cubes instead of plastic trains. Trains as a theme has always been a big turnoff for me and why I have had a hard time getting into train games, but lately I have been asking to play one. Next a friend that I got into board gaming discovered TTR on his own and brought it over, having a new tolerance for trains I could not say no and found myself enjoying Ticket to Ride much more than when I tried it previously. Then I discovered TTR Europe, there are a few differences between Europe and the original Ticket to Ride that make it a much more enjoyable game for me, below I will highlight the basics and then the differences between the Europe and the original game, then I will give my thoughts and explain why why it doesn’t see much table action.

For the entire review complete with full sized images go to: http://toddsboardgames.blogspot.ca/2013/12/ticket-to-ride-europe.html

Objective: In Ticket To Ride Europe your goal is the same as in the original TTR, gather train cards, complete routes between cities corresponding to your Destination Tickets to score points.

Gameplay: On a turn each player will perform one of the following actions:

1. Place Trains: You must complete a route in 1 action (1 turn). In order to complete a route you must play one train card of the corresponding colour for each train you will place on the board.

2. Draw Tickets: You draw 3 destination cards and must keep one of them, you can keep any number of them but keep in mind incomplete tickets count as minus points at the end of the game. Tickets that are not kept are placed on the bottom of the deck.

3. Draw Train Cards: You may take 2 train cards at random or one face up train card of your choice from the 5 face up cards, if you take a face up train card it is immediately replenished.

4. Place Train Station: A train station may be placed in order to use an opponent’s route as your own. The first train station you play will cost 1 train card, the second will cost 2 and your last train station will cost 3 train cards, the train cards used to pay for a train station must be of matching colour.

End of Game: When one player gets down to two trains left every player gets 1 final turn and then scores are calculated.

Scoring: Through the game players are awarded points for each route they finish according to the number of trains in the route. At the end of the game players will score points for any destination tickets they managed to complete, in addition players are awarded 4 points for every Train Station they did not use and the player with the longest route is awarded 10 extra points.

Differences:

A lot of people get the wrong impression that TTR Europe is just a new map, well it is not! In fact I don’t really enjoy the original Ticket to Ride so let me explain the key differences and why I prefer Europe.

Train Stations: For me this is the big one, not because I dislike getting blocked but because I enjoy the added level of strategy, without them there is only so much planning you can do but with Train Stations Ticket to Ride feels like an entirely different game. With 4 players I feel like they add to the urgent/rushed feeling that TTR creates, at the beginning of the game do you take those valuable routes or stash train cards, you will have to make similar decisions with your train stations.

Destination Cards: In TTR Europe you seperate the long routes from the short routes and players are each given only 1 long route at the start of the game, during gameplay you can only draw short routes. This helps make the game more balanced and strategy based instead of luck dependent, however I feel like it is a bit counterintuitive to introduce this mechanic after adding Train Stations to the game (which fix the long vs short route problem for me).

Locomotives: Locomotives serve two purposes, first they are a wild card that allows you to help construct routes easier, secondly they allow you to use ferries. To build a route over water you will need to play a number of Locomotive Cards equal to the number of Locomotive symbols on corresponding on the route. To me adding new water routes and wild cards are great because they help speed up the game as well as give more options.

Tunnels: These are a special route that may require additional train cards. Tunnels are noted by their dark black border on the game board. When a player wishes to claim a tunnel route they first turn over the top 3 train cards from the deck, for each card corresponding with the colour of the route, you must pay 1 additional train card to complete your route. Note that locomotives always count against you. The way tunnels work also seems counterintuitive to me because they slow the game down while Locomotives seem to be put in place to speed the game up, they also make things more random while Locomotives allow for more in depth strategies.

My Thoughts: Although I enjoy Ticket to Ride Europe it does not get played much, mostly because my main group is starting to get into less light games. I think where TTR Europe sits best is as a family game, it is not nearly as frustrating as the original game and has some fantastic mechanics that make it easy for non gamers to really “get into the game”. That being said my personal bias has always been that trains are too boring to hook anyone on our hobby which leaves me with an easy to learn, somewhat addicting, G rated boardgame perfect for families to enjoy together.

Who Would Enjoy Ticket to Ride Europe?

Family Gamers: Ticket to Ride Europe is a great game for families, it has a family friendly theme and the rules are easy to grasp, the box recommends 8 plus. The rules are still deep enough that they allow you to develop a strategy. Also you can learn some geography while playing and playing doesnt take long at all.

Casual Gamers: Ticket to Ride Europe is still every bit as accessible as the original Ticket to Ride and a great way to introduce friends, I like it because it allows room for a bit more long term strategy which is in my opinion a very important aspect when trying to hook new gamers on the hobby. I enjoy TTR as a casual game because of the very fast setup / packup time, and more importantly because turns go around the table at a quick pace.

Gamer Gamers: Although not first choice, many serious gamers I know do enjoy TTR but as a much more cutthroat game where the focus seems to be blocking and keeping hidden the route you are working on is much more important. Although the original Ticket to Ride is better for this, TTR Europe can still be fun and I find makes a much better game to play with your non gamer friends.

Critic - Level 2
27 of 33 gamers found this helpful
“Fun yet needing strong organization”

This game can be a lot of fun, and is very simple to pick up, but requires a lot of organization. Your strategy can become very confused if you don’t keep everything in order, and early on; as the game picks up and you acquire more and more game goals, your choices grow nearly exponentially. Players that don’t want to keep track of all of this will find the game cumbersome, but for those who enjoy strategizing will probably find the game rewarding, especially when completing destinations and completing goals.

I started with the Europe version of the game, but would recommend starting with the standard edition (unless you are extremely knowledgeable about European geography). This is not a huge issue, but can slow the game down a bit when players are trying to constantly track down the cities on the board, due to unfamiliarity with the region.

Amateur Reviewer
36 of 46 gamers found this helpful
“Good mechanics, but an overall dry experience”

I don’t think Ticket To Ride is a bad game, but my experiences have been lacking somewhat.

The board and components are gorgeous, and I really cannot fault these. It’s interesting looking at a map of Europe 100 years ago, with all the borders in places we don’t consider these days, and the overall art style is lovely.

The game rules are extremely simple making this a good gateway game. Players get ‘Destination tickets’ at the start of the game. These are cities they must connect up with train routes they have claimed to score points. Any leftover tickets that have not been completed count against your score. Routes are claimed by discarding the required train cards from your hand and placing little train counters on the board. On your turn, you can draw more train cards, claim a route or draw a new Destination Ticket, which adds an element of ‘press your luck’ – will you have time to finish the route before the end of the game, or will you lose points?

There are a handful of extra rules. Players can play ‘stations’ which all you to use an opponent’s route to complete one of your destination tickets, though there is a point penalty for doing so. Also, there are ‘tunnel routes’, which represent the unknown. These routes might cost more than they appear – up to double. Any additional costs are determined by drawing more cards from the deck. If certain train cards show up, you have to pay extra. Throughout the game, players are supposed to try to block each other’s routes off, or try to acquire the cards their opponent needs to claim the routes they desire.

The game lasts about an hour, and because it is easy, it would be a great game to recommend to new players if not for how… dull… it is. Every time I have played it, there has been very little conversation about the game. In fact, there has been little conversation about anything, except ‘could you pass me a card from the pile please?’. For that reason, my recommendation for a gateway game is still (groan) The Settlers Of Catan – your friends will feel much more involved and interact a lot more. Just make sure you introduce them to some other games soon after!

Gamer - Level 4
Advanced Grader
20 of 28 gamers found this helpful
“A good gateway”

Ticket To Ride is one of nearly perfect gateway games.

Players can be as nice or as naughty as they like, and still enjoy the game. Being nice is a great way to bring new gamers into the gaming experience, but a whole new world opens to them the first time I intentionally block their routes (after a few games, of course…).

Another reason it is a great gateway is that introduces both short and long term scoring options that are easy to understand. The restricted routes and limited route cards in play allow most new gamers to play with ease.

I recommend this game over the original. I have found the European map is “exotic” enough for my American players that it captures their attention quicker than the American map. The route cards show the rough location of destinations. It doesn’t take long to locate them.

I Love Playin' Games
Sentinels of the Multiverse fan
6 of 12 gamers found this helpful
“Learn your geography”

This game is a lot of fun, and can be introduced to people of all gaming experience. The mechanics are simple and there is always the chance option, which I find very enjoyable. One of the most exciting things about this version, as an American living in Europe, is getting to learn a bit more about the European geography. The cities are often written in the national language rather than English which gives a nice flair to the game as well.

For game play it is very simple to teach, which is nice as I have been working on introducing games to a number of new players recently. There are only a few actions one has to learn, and only one thing to do each turn which also keeps it simple for new players.

The reveal of the winner at the end when all the tickets are counted is also a mechanic I enjoy. It can be very exciting watching someone come from behind from all the tickets they collected.

Add a Review for "Ticket to Ride: Europe"

You must be to add a review.

× Visit Your Profile