Quarriors! - Board Game Box Shot

Quarriors!

| Published: 2011

Players take on the roles of Quarriors —mighty mystical warriors—who have the power to capture dangerous quarry from the untamed Wilds! They must conjure the mysterious powers of Quiddity, cast powerful spells, and summon their creatures to battle if they hope to overcome rivals and earn their rightful place as the Champion!

Quarriors Game

The game features 130 custom molded dice, 53 creature and spell cards and everything needed to play for 2 to 4 players.

In this game of "Uber Strategic Hexahedron Monster Combat Mayhem," players compete to capture the most powerful Spells and Creatures (in the form of dice!) from the Wilds and add them to their collection. Players then roll their powerful cubes and summon them into play to battle each of their opponent's forces. Strategy is key in assembling a force that you can roll to victory!

images © WizKids

User Reviews (47)

Filter by: Order by:
I play black
Guardian Angel
Platinum Supporter
Marquis / Marchioness
66 of 69 gamers found this helpful | Medals x 1
“How Quickly the Heart Can Be Won...”

I purchased Quarriors less than a month ago and I’ve logged around 25 plays in that short time. I normally give a game longer to sink in before writing a review, but I’m so obsessed with this one that my opinions have become fully-formed pretty quickly:

Observed Set-Up and Play Time
Being a first-of-its-kind game, you’re pretty strapped to the instruction manual to walk you through set-up… but a prior understanding of deck-builders really greases the wheels. The game took little time to unbox (this only involves taking cards out of cellophane and dice out of baggies). The rule book is concise and well written, and even includes some humor to keep you from getting too grumpy. All told, my first game was starting around 30 minutes after opening the box, and lasted another 30 minutes. Once comfortable, set-up takes 5 minutes and games run between 10 and 45 minutes (the top end for a 4-player game only).

My Learning Curve and Teach Time
Quarriors can be taught to a deck-builder player in 10 minutes, and I have taught someone who has never played a deck-builder in 25 minutes. Both kinds of players were completely competent on the game mechanics during their first play-through. In a nutshell, this is very easy to pick up. Learning curve is a little trickier; by game 2 or 3 I had a rock-solid strategy down pat (note that this strategy – readily available in the “Tips” section of this page – may be the game’s ONLY rock-solid strategy, which will surely turn off some), but I’ve played around 10 games with another really smart gamer (although not a deck-builder player) who hasn’t seemed to figure it out yet. He obviously isn’t checking this website too often!

Group Sizes and Dynamics
I have played numerous 2-, 3- and 4-player games… all were equally enjoyable (note that this page lists number of players at 1 to 4 – there are no included solitaire rules, and I’m not sure how you would do it, so I’m guessing this is a typo). I have a few deck-builder-averse friends who happily jumped into Quarriors and enjoyed it. Another only really likes co-op games, and Quarriors has become her favorite competitive game. Perhaps the easiest target audience I can find for this game is fans of King of Tokyo. They can immediately identify with the attack-your-friends-through-dice theme and don’t notice that you’ve got them playing a “builder” type game (they also may to be easier to beat, because culling may be a foreign concept to them).

Objectionable Material
Like many great games, violence is the driver of Quarriors’ conflict. But also like many greats, nothing is implicit and there are no graphic images. However, there are still somewhat scary images for very young players and a need to read the benefits of particular dice that make reading comprehension a prerequisite to playing the game. This is a game that can be introduced to an 8-year-old… much younger than the publisher’s stated age.

Comparable Titles
While Quarriors is currently a one-of-a-kind game (that won’t last long… I recall reading that the publisher is slapping a Star Trek skin on it and releasing it as a different game), it has a completely “been there, done that” theme… any game that places the player as a wizard-type conjuring entities to battle other players is telling the exact same story. For instance, recent games like Seasons and Summoner Wars deploy drastically different game mechanics to reach the same ends. While the custom dice and unique mechanics are novel, we have the same novelty with Seasons and King of Tokyo. Overall, Quarriors feels like a comfortably familiar, radically different game. Somehow.

I thoroughly enjoy deck builders, and the exchange of cards for dice seems quite logical to me. While I have a love/hate relationship with dice, Quarriors falls strongly on the “love” side. Anything with dice is subject to some randomness, and Quarriors does a noble job of reining in that randomness. It is possible that a good strategy can come up fruitless, but it won’t happen often. Another compliment for Quarriors: 25 games is typically when I start getting the itch to grab an expansion if I like the game… not so here. I am completely excited for my next game, even though I fully understand the 10 creatures (with 3 variants of each) that may be involved in it.

I'm a Gamin' Fiend!
Knight-errant
Advanced Reviewer
BoardGaming.com Beta 1.0 Tester
49 of 53 gamers found this helpful
“Sure, it's deck building with dice. It is also a great time!”

First off, I want to say that if you just HATE Dominion-esque deck building games, I really don’t anticipate you will get much enjoyment out of Quarriors. It is different, but not enough to mask the core deck-building premise. You are still building a deck. Instead of shuffling, you are putting the dice in a bag and shaking them up, but that part of the game is still prevalent. With this comes increased randomness as the dice you have purchased each have 6 sides that do different things.

Still with me? Ok. Let me try and give you an overview of what you get with Quarriors. The box is made of metal and is rather small and portable, say 6 and a half inches cubed. So in package it doesn’t take up a lot of space. Open it up and you have about 55 or so cards and 130 dice. Nothing in the box including the box itself seems overly cheap.

Setup isn’t too laborious. You put out the three basic cards, Basic Quiddity, Assistant and Portal and the dice that go with them. You then choose three random spell cards and 7 random creature cards and put those out as well. Each color spell and creature die has about three spell cards that it use it, so if you pull one that is already using that color die you need to put it back and redraw. Every card with the exception of the Assistant and Basic Quiddty have 5 dice associated with it available for purchase. This area of the table is now called “The Wilds”

Each player gets 8 Basic Quiddity Dice and 4 Assistant dice, for a total of 12, that they put into their dice bag. The first player rolls six random dice from the bag. The basic Quiddity dice have values of 1 or 2, and the Assistant has three sides with one quiddity, two with a creature and one side that allows you to re-roll that die with another of your choice. The creature side of the dice have three numbers. Upper left is their level, upper right its attack value and lower right its defense. With the quiddity you now have at your disposal you can either purchase dice from the wilds (one per turn) and/or summon creatures you may have rolled. The costs for the creature is its level. When you summon creatures, each of them automatically attacks any creatures the other players had summoned their last turn. The total amount of damage must be absorbed one creature at a time. If you do enough damage to kill one of their creatures, they get discarded and they move on to the next creature they have until all the damage is mitigated. Then the next player in line does it all over again.

Should your creature survive to your next turn, you discard it and score points, glory in this case, on the glory track. Each creature is worth an amount of glory indicated on its card. The winner is the first to the number of glory points you decided to play to at the beginning of the game. When scoring a creature, you also have the opportunity to cull one die from your stock that you no longer want as well, thinning out the available dice you have to draw from.

Spells you purchase can do things such as increase the power or defense of all summoned units that turn, increase the amount of glory they are worth, make it harder for other people to summon creatures, buy more than one thing a turn, etc. Creatures often have special powers as well, and depending which side of that creature die was rolled, those powers may be different for the same creature. Portal dice may allow you to draw additional dice from the bag and roll them. The creature cards available are usually 3 types of the same creature, say Warriors of the Quay, Strong Warriors of the Quay and Mighty Warriors of the Quay, but despite the lazy naming conventions, they powers and abilities they possess are often different enough that it isn’t a big deal. The stronger the creature, the more it will cost to purchase it, often leading to a decision between purchasing this creature this turn or summoning something, meaning you may not get any points this round. Most games should come in around the 30 – 45 minute mark.

Any deck building game has a certain amount of randomness included due to the fact that when you shuffle the deck, you never know which cards are going to come up. This game increases that aspect greatly. You drew a powerful creature die, great! Then you roll it and get a side giving you a quiddity to spend instead of a creature to summon. Or, you draw a fist full of creatures and roll no quiddity to summon them with, so you get to do nothing at all this round.

The one other hangup some might have with the game is depending on what creatures you pull at the beginning, the game can go really fast or really slow. Say you pull a Strong Defender of the Pale with no high attack creatures. Nothing is going to kill that creature when it comes out, so every time it comes out it is going to score. On the other hand, if you have a lot of little creatures or lots of high attack creatures, scoring can be few and far between. It is nothing that someone well versed in a deck building game hasn’t had to deal with in some form, and no doubt you will develop your own house rules to deal with these issues as you encounter them, but it bears mentioning.

I have a few potential negatives that I mention here, but I just want to make sure everyone knows what they are getting into. Dropping $50 bucks on a game is one thing. Hating it is another. If my experience means anything, I personally love this game, and I have not run into a person I have played with that didn’t like it.

Zealot
49 of 53 gamers found this helpful
“What is the Pale? Why Should I Defend It?”

Quarriors! is on its face an innovative first attempt at creating a compelling dice-building game. And if you like rolling dice and playing deck-building games, you will want to love this game. But after the newness wears off, players will begin to ask themselves things like “Does strategy even matter?” and “Who are these Quarriors?”

How It Plays

In Quarriors!, two to four players start with a pool of 12 basic dice that provide Quiddity (the game’s currency) and a low-level creature. A number of randomly selected cards in “The Wilds” representing creatures and spells tell you which dice to include in the total game pool, and provide special effects for the rolled dice.

Each turn, players roll 6 dice and use the results to summon creatures, cast spells, or buy more dice from the Wilds. Your creatures attack all the players around the table, and if your creature survives the whole round, you get to score it for Glory. The first player to reach a specific glory level (varies by number of players) wins.

The creatures and spells (and therefore dice) are randomly selected for each game, so you can play many games without encountering the same combination of cards/dice.

How It Works

If this sounds like fun, it is – at first. Building your pool, culling out weaker dice, rolling handfuls of colored dice… But after a few plays, you begin to feel like your best purchase is always obvious and your success depends primarily on luck rather than skill.

The advanced rules explained in the expansions are supposed to add additional decision-making, but really just feel like they drag out the game. And part of what makes Quarriors! fun is that it ends before you realize how little strategic depth there is to the game.

How It Looks and Feels

When Quarriors! was first released, a number of people complained about the quality of the printing on the dice. And yes, there are a few dice where the numbers are sometimes difficult to read. But given that the faces are printed on the related card, it’s not something that has bothered me, especially given the huge number of dice you receive in the game.

The original storage container required a lot of modifying to fit the game in a convenient way, but if you get the Quarmaggedon Expansion, it provides a fantastic storage case that holds all the dice in neat rows.

The Quarriors! themeing could use a little strengthening. After playing with my wife a few times, her comment was “This game is fun enough, but who is the Defender of the Pale? What is the Pale? Why is he defending it?” And it’s true – the Quarriors! universe could use a little bit of flavor, even just a line or two of flavor text on the cards. As is, you don’t really have a strong sense of what it is you are actually doing in the game beyond calling forth one-dimensional creatures that tease at something more interesting.

I actually re-themed the game with Harry Potter characters and spells, and it brought new life to the game for us and our gaming circle. It’s much more interesting to summon Lucius Malfoy than the Warrior of the Quay. I can only hope that perhaps one day WizKids can find a way to expand the Harry Potter licenses to include an improved version of the dice-building genre. Or that their upcoming Lord of the Rings Dice-Building game will be the one to take the step forward.

Conclusion

This is a fun game for Casual, Social or Family gamers, or Avid gamers looking for a light game to pass the time. But Power and Strategy gamers expecting “Dominion with Dice” will be left wanting.

BoardGaming.com Beta 2.0 Tester
Went to Gen Con 2012
BoardGaming.com Bronze Supporter
Advanced Reviewer
59 of 64 gamers found this helpful
“When Boardgames Make Love”

Imagine a world where your box games awoke in the middle of the night while you are sound asleep. They run around your house like little gnomes. Dominion is coming out of the bathroom pulling up his zipper. Random dice are walking into the kitchen to cook up some waffles. Their eyes meet and its love at first sight. After a trip to Vegas they are officially wed and nine months later… Quarriors!!!!

Break This Bad Boy Out:
The game set up can take a bit of time as you will have to take the die out of their little baggies or separate them if you have simply dumped them into the pot. Its not so much the time it takes, its more getting the die out of these tiny bags that I find annoying, but necessary.

One great thing about Quarriors is the cards the show what the die represent. Although there are only one set of die, there are multiple cards representing those die. What this offers is more replay ability as you can have different versions of a die via what is shown on the card. Each time you play, the different cards power the same die, resulting in the die interact with each other a bit differently each game.

Once you have your cards and die set up, you are ready to start playing the game.

Let’s Get It On:
Quarriors is a dice building game where you are buying different warriors to fight against one another to score glory points. You capture these warriors by rolling the die in your bag to produce the currency for the game call quiddity. You spend quiddity to both capture and to activate the Quarriors you have captured.

Much like Dominion you have a starting pile of die with a few worthless pieces mixed in. Your turn you get six die to roll for your hand essentially. If you have creatures you have collected to fight you will most likely activate them and put them into your ready area.

Creatures in your ready area fight as a team against each of your opponent’s individual die. So if you have two creatures with an attack of 2 each, 4 total, the attack your opponent with a defense of 3. That die is killed off and put into your opponent’s used pile. If you get your creature to survive one whole round and get back to you then you score glory points and that creature is put back into your used pile.

This continues until a player reaches the necessary glory to win the game.

What Rocks:
• Its nice that the different cards are used to add replayability to the game. You can each card also has its own setting: normal, strong, and mighty. So you can make a game with just the weaker cards for new people or go big and play all mighty!
• The game plays pretty quick, in about 20-30 min. Makes it a nice filler or something to squeeze in at the end of a night.
• The game is very each to teach, especially if people have played Dominion.

Meh:
• Of course the game is luck based, that’s a give when 99% of the game is dice, but it does not offer much strategy. Basically, when you roll quiddity, purchase the largest thing that you can. There is not much thought in it, just buy the most expensive thing that you can. It lacks depth
• There are a few things that are a little shaky in the rules. They have since then come out with a few expansions that have addressed these things, but I have not taken the time to dig them up. But as you play through you can see some of the holes.
• It can only be played with four players. And you can’t stretch the rules because you don’t have the die to make it happen.

Overall:
I believe that this is going to be one of those games that makes a big splash when it comes out, but I don’t think it will last the set of time. There just is not enough depth to keep bringing people back for more. The combat is nice, and when the game is close you may be on the edge of your seat, but with most dice games, and roll will make you or break you. My fiancé really enjoys this game, but it’s not one that I care too much for, I’d rather invest my time in a game that will make me think a bit more.

Knight-errant
Cooperative Game Explorer
Amateur Advisor
Gamer - Level 6
48 of 52 gamers found this helpful
“A game with true possibilities”

There are so many things that I love about this game that trying to pick and choose among them is harder than you might think. Where to begin? Well, let’s start with the beginning, shall we?

The first thing I love about this game is the design of the box/tin itself. The box itself is a die, representing one of the most powerful monsters in the game. You could literally roll the tin as a die itself, except that it isn’t EXACTLY like a die. The bottom is indented to provide a base, and there is some edging around the opening of the tin. But the tin isn’t truly meant to be rolled itself, so moving on, yes?

The game tin in itself is elegant, in that it can contain the entirety of the game in one neat package, and is arranged in a way so that you can put everything back into the tin easily once you pull everything out. The game comes with everything you need to keep all the dice inside separated, which is a huge bonus. Oh, did I mention this was a dice game? Oh, is this ever a dice game.

The best way to describe Quarriors (as I’ve heard it described so many times before) is a deck-building game using dice instead of cards. I guess in that respect you could call it a dice pool building game instead, but the game DOES use cards. The difference is that it uses cards to represent what the dice actually are, in terms of monsters, spells and the game’s resident currency, Quiddity. Quiddity is used both to buy and summon monsters; you can’t do anything without Quiddity.

What I appreciate most is how the game designers came up with a way of making the dice represent different things. Since you can’t change what the dice are (the faces are carved in, so one type of die will always have the same symbols), you change what the dice represent by the use of the cards. Each monster and spell has several different variants that can be selected during the start of the game, and they all have special abilities that can come into play, either naturally or by rolling a burst (represented by a * or ** symbol on the die and card). This lends a lot of replayability to the game, so that you don’t get used to one die being the same all the time.

The combat system is simple, but fair. If you roll a monster symbol and enough quiddity to summon it, you can summon it to the field. It then attacks all the monsters on the field. Not the player itself, but the monsters. And it attacks all monsters at once. If the attack beats the defense of a defending monster, it goes away. There is only attack damage; there is no defensive damage returned. Every player’s monsters are attacked at once, so there is no favortism, and if you summon a monster, you HAVE to attack. This is important because you earn victory points by having your monsters survive a single turn, and if they’re still on your field of play when your turn comes around again, you score the monster for its glory (victory point) value, and it goes away. Monsters are not permanent in this game, which forces you to live in the moment rather than planning long-term.

Something else to note about monsters in this game; they have level! Yep, that’s right, your monsters can be comparatively weak or strong depending upon what you roll. Monsters can range from level 1 to level 3, depending upon what you roll, and can have varying attack and defense values for each level. The catch is that the strong a monster you roll, the more quiddity you need to pay to summon it, which means you have less left to buy monsters and spells. So sometimes you have to decide whether you want to score points, or prepare a stronger arsenal.

Quarriors is a quick game; you can get through a two-player game in a good half-hour to 45 minutes, and three and four-player games can end just as quickly. This means you can get in several games, which is good if you play people that like to play two out of three sets. There’s a lot of random luck in this game due to die rolling, but it doesn’t really feel that way as you play, as the choices you make in what monsters and spells to buy with your quiddity can make a world of difference.

Where this game really shines, however, is in its potential for expansions. There are already a few expansions out on the market, and the creators have taken the trouble to make them easy to integrate into the base game. Couple that with a game that is already easy to carry with you anywhere you go, and you can literally have a pick-up game of Quarriors just about anywhere.

The only detraction of the game I have is that sometimes, the die faces are carved in such a way that it can be difficult to make out little differences, like the difference between a 1 and 2. This can cause a little squinting of the eyes, but it’s not a detraction of the gameplay itself, so it can be forgiven. Hey, sometimes mistakes happen, right?

Canada
Gamer - Level 3
57 of 62 gamers found this helpful
“Quarriors! turned me into a dice lover. A few flaws, however.”

Quarriors is a great gateway game as it is very easy to learn and it introduces common strategic game concepts such as building a lean, powerful deck (or in this case, dice bag).

It plays similarly to Dominion although instead of a deck of cards you have a set of dice you draw out of a bag. You start off with a few creatures and quiddity (money) in your bag and you purchase better creatures and spells as you progress through the game. The aim is to put your creatures in play and earn glory if they survive a round of attacks by the creatures other players bring out on their turn. The player who reaches the required amount of glory first wins.

I loved the game components, especially the quirky graphics (primordial ooze, anyone?) and all the colourful dice. So many pretty colourful dice to hold in your hand and roll! And I wasn’t even a dice fan prior to playing.

The only downside to this game is that it is way too short. You rarely get to feel the satisfaction of seeing your dice-bag building strategy come to fruition. The game usually ends soon after one person is able to afford a dragon, which is very powerful and hard to kill by most of the other dice. There are, however, ways of working around this issue. Many gamers gave good advice in the game tips section of this page. With some tinkering, this game has a lot of potential.

Critic - Level 5
Professional Advisor
Professional Reviewer
Marquis / Marchioness
56 of 61 gamers found this helpful
“Fun change of pace, if you want fun and not competition”

Dominion with dice. That’s what I kept hearing Quarriors! described as. If you’re referring to Dominion as a deck building game, then the comparison holds. It starts to fall apart if you’re looking for a game with similar strategy and balance.

Oh, the dice part? Yes, the game has that covered: five each of ten different creature types, five each of five different spells, and three types of dice used in every game. 130 dice, in 18 different colors, the game is rather striking to see setup.

All players (2-4) start with the same bag of dice, 12 total. Eight are “quiddity” dice, which is the currency of the game, the other four are Assistant dice, which “help” get you going. Throughout the game, you will be gaining “glory”, the victory points of the game, primarily by summoning creatures and having them survive until the beginning of your next turn.

You’ll use seven different creature types and three different spell types each game, represented by cards which are randomly drawn. To add to the variability, there are three different versions of each creature, and four of each spell. The dice for a given creature may be the same, but some of the powers will change from game to game based on the type drawn. There are no worries of playing exactly the same game twice.

On your turn, you get six phases:

1) Score (gain glory for) any creatures you still have alive
2) Draw and roll dice (six per turn)
3) Cast spells / summon creatures (pay their cost/level)
4) ATTACK EVERYONE!
5) Buy ONE new die
6) Cleanup

For creatures, their attack and defense will be shown on the die. This assumes you roll a creature face on the die. Just buying a creature die does not guarantee you’ll be able to summon a creature when you draw its die. You may only get money (or some other ability). Once you roll a creature face, you pay an amount equal to its level to summon it. For spell dice, if you roll the spell face, you “ready” the spell to cast following rules of that spell.

Phase 4 gives this game the player interaction many feel Dominion lacks. Every creature you’ve summoned attacks EACH player, in turn. You add your attack value and each opponent must send creatures (one at a time, if they have any) to block. If you exceed the defense, the defender is discarded. One thing that surprised me (but ends up working) is the fact that defenders do not attack back. They are only there to soak up damage. Also of note, extra damage beyond what creatures can absorb does nothing (you don’t “damage” your opponent). Once you’re done with one player, your creatures attack with their full strength against the next player. This means you should be prepared for your creatures to die.

If you have any creatures still alive at the beginning of your turn (none of your opponents have chewed them up with their attacks) you score them for glory. The amount you get is shown on the card for the given creature. The game ends immediately upon one player gaining a predetermined amount of glory (based on number of players). The game will also end if four different creatures have had all of their dice bought.

As expected with dice, there is a fair bit of randomness, which in my opinion holds this game back from being a “feature” game for a game night, and relegates it to filler status. It’s fun and pretty quick (4-player games tend to end around 30 minutes, once everyone knows the rules). It is prone to wide swings in luck. There is always the chance that one player will get a high money roll and buy a first turn dragon (or other large creature), and dominate the game. Or, someone who gets that early dragon may never get a dragon face when rolling its die.

I’m not normally a fan of the randomness of dice, and yet I enjoy this game, now that I know going in to not take it too seriously. There is enjoyment to be found in rooting for your creature to survive, and the rush of getting multiple creature buys to pay off in the same turn. If everyone at the table is playing to have a good time, Quiddity! can make that happen for you. If players are expecting a strategic game and spending their time complaining about the rules and focusing on how unbalanced the game can be, even the relatively short play time drags. Keep it fun, upbeat, and light and Quiddity! can be an enjoyable addition to your collection.

Gamer - Level 1
45 of 49 gamers found this helpful
“Not for everyone, but it is for me!”

First off, let’s face it: This game isn’t for everyone. But you probably knew that already, and that’s why you’re checking the reviews. Let me try to help.

Do you like a decent dose of randomness?

‘Cause this game has it. Now, this word gets thrown around a lot. It gets used in place of “******” or “unfun.” And to some people this may be the case. Not to me. I appreciate randomness. As long as there is something else there (theme, innovative mechanics, cool bits), I’m usually okay with luck. To me it’s what makes a game a “game” and not an “exercise.” This is a game.

Do you like Yahtzee?

Meh. Doesn’t really matter if you do or don’t. There are quite a few dice games out there that are essentially Yahtzee variants (roll three times, can save some, etc.), but this isn’t one. This features combat, “deck-building” and varying abilities. Nothing really Yahtzee here other than dice.

Do you like cool bits?

You’ve come to the right place. Etched dice. ETCHED dice. None of that ****** screen printing here. Just. Sweet. Etched. GLORY.

Do you like direct conflict?

It’s a little iffy here. The combat system is a little strange and abstract, but it works. You roll dice. If you can pay/want to play a monster and you roll one, then you can. It then proceeds to attack everyone around the table. It’s not picky and doesn’t discriminate. It attacks everyone. This prevents the gang up problem that can occur in a lot of conflict-based games.

Jeez, I read all that. It didn’t really say much. Will I like it or not?

I think you need to try it. I know this is somewhat of a copout for a reviewer to say, but I think it warrants a play before buy. If you love Dominion (I do), Thunderstone (I do) and Nightfall (I do), you won’t necessarily like this. Give it a shot. You’ll probably either love or or hate it. Or just find it okay.

Video Game Fan
35 of 38 gamers found this helpful
“Quiddity Pro Bono”

[This is a tl;dr review. While the whole review is extensive, you may read the last paragraph for the overview of my impressions.]

Quarriors! is not just a game where the developers tried to stuff as many ‘Qu-’ words in its lingo as possible. It is also a fun, light game that makes for great filler. And as much as many gamers would hate to admit it, rolling dice is pretty darn fun.

The premise of Quarriors is simple. You are one of the eponymous Quarriors, a wizard with the ability to harness Quiddity to summon Quarry–magical creatures and mystical spells that help you do battle. The goal of the game is to obtain glory for the Empress (not Queen?) Quiana before your rivals do the same.

The base mechanic of Quarriors is deckbuilding–or more accurately, dicebuilding. Naturally, this means that, instead of building up a deck of cards, you build up a pool of dice. To do so, you draw dice from your bag, roll them, and play them.

Setting up is pretty easy, and similar to determining the bank of Dominion, for example. A set of cards denoting creatures and spells are shuffled; seven creatures and three spells are drawn. The dice that are associated with these are put in the center of the play area, along with three cards that are common to every game. These are the ‘Wilds’ and represent the Quarry available for you to capture on your turns.
Like in all deckbuilders, you also start with a set of pretty bad dice.

On your turn, any creatures that survived the previous turn are ‘scored’. This means they award you with a certain amount of Glory points and are discarded. Then you draw six dice from your bag (replacing your discard pile into the bag if you need to draw more) and roll them. You may ‘spend’ these dice to gain the effect on the top face. There are several effects you can roll:
*Quiddity, the currency of the game. You can spend this to gain that much Quiddity for later use.
*Creatures, the linchpin of the game. You must spend Quiddity to summon them; they give you points on the next turn and attack your opponent’s creatures to prevent them from doing the same.
*Spells. Depending on the exact spell that you’re using, you can either spend it to immediately gain some sort of effect, or equip it on a creature for later effect.

After spending your dice for your actions, any creatures you have immediately attack your opponents. Battle resolution is simple; you add up all the offense of your creatures to get your total attack, and your opponents defend against your attack one defender at a time. If the creature a defender chooses has more defense than the total attack value, then the attack is successfully blocked. But if that creature has less defense, it is destroyed and your opponent’s attack strength decreases by that number. It’s not easy to explain in words; it’s most similar to the trample mechanic in Magic: the Gathering.

After attacking, you may choose to use any leftover Quiddity to capture a die from the Wilds. You discarding any unused dice, then your turn is over.

The rules of Quarriors are quite easy to grasp–well, they would be if the rulebook didn’t use so much weird terminology. The dice immediately available for you to use (the analog of a hand with cards) is referred to as your ‘Active Pool’; summoned creatures and prepared spells are put in the ‘Ready Area’, and discarded dice are placed in the ‘Used Pile’. Once you remember this strange terminology, though, the rest of the rules will click in place.

On to the components. The tin where the game is stored is absolutely beautiful. It looks like one of the dice in the game; I’ve heard that different tins have different dice on them. The cards feel strong and able to withstand several games, and the art on them is gorgeous. You get Standard Eurogame Cubes for marking score and four dice bags to serve as your ‘deck’.

The dice in the game are pretty small. There are more than one hundred dice in the box, so I assume they’re kept at this size to keep them cheap. I’ve noticed a few of the face have some paint defects, although nothing that makes a die completely ambiguous. Barring that, though, the dice are nice to look at; each class of creature or spell is represented with a different die. The Quake Dragon is a brown mottled die, for example, whereas the Scavenging Goblin is a stark green.

When playing the game, my group and I have noticed that the game goes by way too fast with the suggested point scores. I know this is a filler-type game, but it’s a bit frustrating when the game goes by too quickly–after all, you don’t really know whether the decisions you made are the right ones!

Luck is also a big part of this game, which is inherent due to the dice. Naturally some dice are better than others, but again, you don’t always feel like you’re synergizing dice together like cards in Dominion.

This game is one of the few games I actively house-rule. Generally I play to twice the Glory recommended by the game. This does increase the feel of strategic depth a bit, and makes the game go on for just the right amount to be the perfect filler.

[tl;dr] Quarriors! is a fresh variation on the deck building mechanic. While I had some issues with the dice being kind of small and some minor paint issues, the game itself is fun and fast-paced. It’s certainly not as deep as Dominion, Ascension, or Thunderstone, but its simple mechanics and the sheer fun of rolling dice make it a great filler game.

Tinkerer
Strategist
Amateur Advisor
44 of 48 gamers found this helpful
“Beautiful Game, can't wait for expansions!”

Let’s get some basics down, anyone who has played a deck building game in the last few years will be fairly familiar with the basics of Quarriors. This is a deck building game, but with dice. This, of course brings a unique twist to the game. In a card-based game, each card you purchase for your deck grants exactly the same resource each and every time it is played (a gold will always be a gold). However, in Quarriors, each die has several different sides to each die. When you roll a Quake Dragon die, only 3 sides of that die actually represent the Quake Dragon creature. The other sides will give you different resources like money (called Quiddity) or possible re-rolls. This does add an element of randomness to the game, but in my opinion it also adds another element of excitement.

First impressions:
I was quite impressed with this game from the first time I saw it. It comes in a beautiful metal tin shaped and colored like one of the dice. Mine looks like a giant version of the Quake Dragon die. It has a sturdy card paper wrapping with very nice artwork and a few tongue-in-cheek jokes for those who care to look closely at the writing.
Inside you find four cloth bags of different colors that are sturdy enough to hold up to many games without tearing. There is a cardboard score card to track points with although it can be slightly confusing at first glance. The score track zig-zags back and forth down the card. 1-5 track from left to right, then the next line with 6-10 goes from right to left and so on down the board. There are also four wooden cubes, one of each color, for tracking each player on the score board. The instruction manual is fully colored and easy enough to read if you can keep track of all the odd names and terminology (Quiddity is money, Quarry are dice in the Wild, etc.)

Dice and Cards:
Holy moly there are a lot of dice in this thing, 130 total. The dice are by far the most impressive feature of this game, each creature and spell has a completely unique set of dice for it and they are all quite nice. In total the game includes cards and dice for 10 creatures, 5 spells, and the 3 basic cards of Quiddity, Portal, and Assistant. The standard setup of the game calls for 7 creatures and 3 spells in addition to the basic cards. In order to avoid the game becoming stale, each creature has 3 variations and each spell has 4 variations. Because of this, the possible combinations for play number in the hundreds of thousands.

Bonus: Quaxos Promo:
There is a promo pack of cards available that will net you one new variation for each of the Scavenging Goblin, Warrior of the Quay, and Quake Dragon creatures. I would say these variations are interesting at best. They are each designed to interact with other creatures in the Quaxos promo. First of all, each Quaxos creature takes no damage from any other Quaxos creature and they all gain +1 attack and defense for each other Quaxos creature in play. Aside from that, each creature has another ability who’s usefulness is highly variable.

The Scavenging Goblin give +1 money when summoned for each Quaxos creature in play.
The Warrior of the Quay when summoned allows you to summon a second creature in your active area for free.
And the Quake Dragon will, when summoned, destroy another creature outright and score a point for you.

Overall, I would say that if you are a huge fan of Quarriors like myself, the Quaxos Promo pack is a must buy, but anyone else can feel free to pass.

Gamer - Level 4
Advocate
53 of 58 gamers found this helpful
“Great for some, not for everyone”

I got to play Quarriors this weekend, I must admit I was skeptical that the mechanics would mesh well, and not a huge fan of randomness in games… Well it is an amazing game, the randomness serves to engage more than to cause frustration and the varying dice uses (Quiddity vs creatures) coupled with different creature abilities for the same cards will give it real lasting re-playability.

Randomness:If you enjoy game with luck and some push your luck (re-rolling dice)then this is a game to check out. If you like to plan out your moves and have an element of certainty, perhaps this is a title to shy away from.

Strategy: While there are real “strategic” choices as to what to buy, to argue there is engine building comparable to other deck-building games is an overstatement at best. Bad rolls will happen, and sometimes a lot this is a part of the game that simply unavoidable. (And a part of the appeal for some gamers)

Over-all going into the game with a light-hearted, ready to have good and bad rolls mentality and you will enjoy the experience of Quarriors.

Miniature Painter
Baron / Baroness
Eminent Domain Fan
Master Grader
53 of 58 gamers found this helpful
“Clever little dice game.”

Quarriors! is one of those games that doesn’t come along very often. It has a ton of very nice dice (with a few exceptions), nice quality cards with a great art style, and a lot of built in fun.

Quarriors! is the new dice-building game from Wizkids. The game is unique in that everyone builds their specific bag of dice from the same pool of dice available in the middle of the table. Think Dominion, but with dice. One key difference though, is that each of the dice, having six sides, has the chance to give you one of six different results. For example, a dice that is representing a creature has only a few of it’s six sides with that creature on them. The rest of the sides may contain Quiddity (money) or even a special action.
What this means is that you won’t always get the creature, even though you have that creature’s dice.

I am normally not a huge fan of luck based games, but I feel that Quarriors! does an excellent job of using just enough luck to keep the game fresh and fun, but allows the player the ability to strategically build his bag of dice. It can be frustrating when you don’t get the dice you need, but when you do…Look out!

The fast paced game-play goes a long way toward keeping the luck part of the game from drowning it in frustration. You can play four players in about 25-30 mins. If you have a bad game, reset, get some new cards/dice on the table, and try again.

Quarriors! is a great game for gamers of all levels. It is my 12 year old son’s favorite game. (he has beaten me 15 out of 20 games.) And my wife even enjoys it. Give it a shot, you won’t be disappointed!

Game play: 9
The game is easy to learn, plays quickly, and is overall just a lot of fun.

Replayability: 9
There are three variants of each of the ten creatures in the game and four variants of each of the five spells. This means a different game every time you play!

Quality: 9
The quality of the game’s components is top notch. The dice are etched, not stickered, which is a huge plus for a game with over 130 dice. The only exception to this is that the portal dice are a bit hard to read because of the size of the die and the pattern they chose to put on it. The cards are of good stock and filled with nice artwork.

Add a Review for "Quarriors!"

You must be to add a review.

× Visit Your Profile