Race for the Galaxy - Board Game Box Shot

Race for the Galaxy

| Published: 2007

In Race for the Galaxy, players build galactic civilizations by game cards that represent worlds or technical and social developments.

Each round consists of one or more of five possible phases. In each round, each player secretly and simultaneously chooses one of seven different action cards and then reveals it. Only the selected phases occur. For these phases, every player performs the phase’s action, while the selecting player(s) also get a bonus for that phase.

For example, if at least one player chooses the Develop action, then the Develop phase will occur; otherwise it is skipped. In it, each player may simultaneously select a development from his hand of cards to build. After revealing the cards, each player adds his development to his tableau of cards on the table and then discards cards from his hand equal to its cost. Each player who chose Develop discards one card fewer as his bonus.

Explore allows a player to draw cards and select which of them to add to his hand. Settle allows a player to place a world in his tableau. Some worlds produce goods, represented by face down cards, when Produce is selected. These goods can be discarded for victory points or sold to add cards to the player’s hand by selecting Consume. With cards, players can settle new worlds and build more developments, gaining both victory points and card powers that provide advantages in certain phases.

The player who best manages his cards, phase and bonus selections, and card powers to build the greatest space empire, wins.

The winner is the player with the most victory points.

User Reviews (49)

Filter by: Order by:
Noble
Amateur Reviewer
Amateur Advisor
17 of 43 gamers found this helpful
“Too unpredictable in my point of view”

I played about 10 games of Race for the Galaxy and after that I don’t think I will play it soon again. I am missing player interaction and creating a plan on what to concentrate is almost futile.
My issue with this game is that you have no idea what cards you will get. Do go down the alien artifact road or something else?
To me the game felt like I am not really in control.

Gamer - Level 1
15 of 38 gamers found this helpful
“Great game, confusing at first”

This is a really great game with lots of replay value. It has kind of a steep learning curve at first though. My friends and I used the online version to practice and get the hang of it. http://www.keldon.net/rftg/
Probably not the best game to play late at night when people are tired. It requires a lot of your attention.

Noble
18 of 48 gamers found this helpful
“Great Idea!”

This is a great idea for a game. It is nice to see all your plans come together in front of you. The play is simple to follow and once you get the hang of the symbols it can be easy to decipher something new.

Although the bad is that there is almost no player interaction other then the choosing of action cards and hoping you choose properly for the best results.

My First Wish!

13 of 35 gamers found this helpful
“Slow at first but plays fast later on”

This is game that takes time to learn, but if you don’t give up you will master a game that is truly great.

The sudden moment you see a strategy emerge you get this wonderful feeling of “Yes, now I got it!”. And you can get this several times with this game.

But don’t forget to look at the nice card art. When you try to learn the game you are so focused on all the icons, symbols and numbers that you miss the art. Later on you want to play fast and you miss looking at them again. Slow down a bit and see what’s really going on in your part of the universe.

Gamer - Level 2
13 of 36 gamers found this helpful
“Fantastic Card Game”

This is a fantastic card game by the creator of San Juan, only better (by his words). The learning curve is steep, but once all the icons are memorized it’s a great game for quick matches and doesn’t take nearly as long as Dominion to set up. This is a favorite with our weekly gaming group (and my wife)!

Sophomore
Advanced Grader
Advocate
15 of 44 gamers found this helpful
“Fantastic strategy game!”

The first time I played Race for the Galaxy I didn’t understand what all the hype was about. But the second time I played I had to teach someone else and it was then that I understood the strategies involved with this game…and I was hooked! This game is great with three or more players but does have a fairly steep learning curve. The cards are good, not great, quality so I recommend getting protective sleeves. The iconography takes a couple of games to get used to but there are cheat sheets to help until you are used to it. I highly recommend this game!

My First Game Tip
19 of 57 gamers found this helpful
“Not as confusing as the hype”

After all of the “it’s so confusing” comments, I was a bit scared of the first game. It didn’t seem nearly as confusing to me as the hype led me to believe.

Loads of fun, with lots of variations.

15 of 45 gamers found this helpful
“Hard to pick up, but easy once you have.”

This game has a lot of strategy going on for it. Knowing when to Explore, Settle, or Develop is a big part of gaining the 12 cards in front of you and collecting VPs. It’s a little overwhelming at first, and the first game or two can take a while while new players learn the ropes, but once they have, the game goes very quickly.

I would classify this as a more “gamer’s game,” and not something you would play with your family.

Gamer - Level 1
18 of 55 gamers found this helpful
“Difficult to get used to all those symbols”

But once you get over it this is an excellent game.
Plays fast.

Better with 2P in my opinion.

Critic - Level 1
16 of 49 gamers found this helpful
“Ok 2 player game”

The base game, with 2 players presents a moderate difficulty game that is not overwhelmed by the size of the deck. However, this breaks down as players and expansions are added (don’t try to teach someone to play with a full version).

I Am What I Am
16 of 49 gamers found this helpful
“Awesome Card Game”

As others have mentioned in there reviews this game is very hard to pick up and will take a number of games, the game opens it self when you start to recognises some of the cards and form an idea of the sort of direction of play.

Once you have the general feel for the game the expansions are a must (must buy in order) even just for the extra cards.

14 of 43 gamers found this helpful
“Great Game”

The initial game can be tough as the mechanics rely on a lot of icons. That being said, once you get the hang of the game, it is very fun. There are multiple strategies and the gameplay flows smoothly.

14 of 43 gamers found this helpful
“Top game in our group”

With its multiple strategies and enough chaos based on the draw of the cards, Race for the Galaxy is one of my gaming group’s favorite games. Each time we play, we’re finding new strategies, and although some strategies have emerged as the most consistently valuable, we’re still exploring new ways to win. The card art is OK, but I’m not wowed by it. The quality of the components is fine and has held up well so far.

I see a lot of similarities to Dominion, but Race for the Galaxy offers more decisions and complexity than Dominion.

Rated 25 Games
22 of 68 gamers found this helpful
“Dry as a bone!”

If you like number crunching, this game is for you. Has very little to do with it’s pasted on theme.

Gamer - Level 4
Junior
Novice Reviewer
Knight
19 of 59 gamers found this helpful
“Hard to learn but very rewarding”

Once in a while a game comes along that changes everything. Race for the Galaxy was one of those games. It has a steep learning curve do to the amount of icons in the game, but after a while this complexity actually makes for a very streamlined and elegant game.

Add a Review for "Race for the Galaxy"

You must be to add a review.

× Visit Your Profile