Race for the Galaxy - Board Game Box Shot

Race for the Galaxy

| Published: 2007

In Race for the Galaxy, players build galactic civilizations by game cards that represent worlds or technical and social developments.

Each round consists of one or more of five possible phases. In each round, each player secretly and simultaneously chooses one of seven different action cards and then reveals it. Only the selected phases occur. For these phases, every player performs the phase’s action, while the selecting player(s) also get a bonus for that phase.

For example, if at least one player chooses the Develop action, then the Develop phase will occur; otherwise it is skipped. In it, each player may simultaneously select a development from his hand of cards to build. After revealing the cards, each player adds his development to his tableau of cards on the table and then discards cards from his hand equal to its cost. Each player who chose Develop discards one card fewer as his bonus.

Explore allows a player to draw cards and select which of them to add to his hand. Settle allows a player to place a world in his tableau. Some worlds produce goods, represented by face down cards, when Produce is selected. These goods can be discarded for victory points or sold to add cards to the player’s hand by selecting Consume. With cards, players can settle new worlds and build more developments, gaining both victory points and card powers that provide advantages in certain phases.

The player who best manages his cards, phase and bonus selections, and card powers to build the greatest space empire, wins.

The winner is the player with the most victory points.

User Reviews (50)

Filter by: Order by:
Gamer - Level 2
30 of 55 gamers found this helpful
“Steep learning curve, but worth it”

Race for the Galaxy is tough to learn. REALLY tough. In fact, it typically takes about two or three full games before someone catches on. But once the light comes on, this game is a blast, and there are lots of options and paths to victory. It’s a great game, but you have to stick with it. The learning curve is worth it.

30 of 56 gamers found this helpful
“Take heart, it is woth it...”

Yes, the task of reading and understanding all the cards seems daunting at first. But take heart. It is woth it. When you master the icons on the card a whole universe opens up to you. I actually prefer the simplicity of only the base game from time to time. It is Race in its most destilled form. A classic.

BoardGaming.com Beta 1.0 Tester
BoardGaming.com Beta 2.0 Tester
Amateur Advisor
45 of 87 gamers found this helpful
“One of my all time favorites”

At first Race for the Galaxy doesn’t seem like much, but I find myself playing this game over and over again. Whenever the question is “which game do we play?” Race for the Galaxy seems to be the best and most agreed upon answer.

The rhythm of the different strategies in the game is what really gets in my bones. Military explores for new cards and settles. Alien and genes strategies produce and consume trade, with brief forays to settle or develop. Development strategies explore and develop.

On top of this, the strategy can be really deep, the interaction is limited in a good way, and the special bonus yellow chips make varied strategies viable. I love this game.

That said, the attempted symbolic communication of individual card mechanics is inscrutable for new players. They really should have just stuck with words.

Noble
Amateur Reviewer
Amateur Advisor
30 of 58 gamers found this helpful
“Too unpredictable in my point of view”

I played about 10 games of Race for the Galaxy and after that I don’t think I will play it soon again. I am missing player interaction and creating a plan on what to concentrate is almost futile.
My issue with this game is that you have no idea what cards you will get. Do go down the alien artifact road or something else?
To me the game felt like I am not really in control.

Rated 25 Games
30 of 59 gamers found this helpful
“One of the Ultimate Card Games”

Race for the Galaxy is one of my favorite games. The learning curve for the iconology is very steep. Fortunately, this is a deeply rewarding game once you get over that hump. Find a few other people who enjoy it, and you can play it over and over. The card variability provides almost infinite replayability.

“Great Game”

The initial game can be tough as the mechanics rely on a lot of icons. That being said, once you get the hang of the game, it is very fun. There are multiple strategies and the gameplay flows smoothly.

“Top game in our group”

With its multiple strategies and enough chaos based on the draw of the cards, Race for the Galaxy is one of my gaming group’s favorite games. Each time we play, we’re finding new strategies, and although some strategies have emerged as the most consistently valuable, we’re still exploring new ways to win. The card art is OK, but I’m not wowed by it. The quality of the components is fine and has held up well so far.

I see a lot of similarities to Dominion, but Race for the Galaxy offers more decisions and complexity than Dominion.

Sophomore
Advanced Grader
Advocate
“Fantastic strategy game!”

The first time I played Race for the Galaxy I didn’t understand what all the hype was about. But the second time I played I had to teach someone else and it was then that I understood the strategies involved with this game…and I was hooked! This game is great with three or more players but does have a fairly steep learning curve. The cards are good, not great, quality so I recommend getting protective sleeves. The iconography takes a couple of games to get used to but there are cheat sheets to help until you are used to it. I highly recommend this game!

Gamer - Level 1
34 of 69 gamers found this helpful
“Like learning a language (difficult but rewarding)”

The iconography used in Race for the Galaxy probably seemed like a way to make things more elegant. Printing a paragraph of text on the card seems like cheating. Unfortunately, I kinda wish these cards did just have some text explaining their effects. The problem is that there are so many different possible effects a card may have, the resulting iconography requires the constant presence of a Rosetta Stone in the form of the reference card to decipher.

The game succeeds despite this by offering a number of strategic possibilities. You’ll try to find the cards which most quickly and efficiently spit out victory points. I haven’t scratched the surface in the three games I’ve played, but I can see the possibilities starting to show through in my next few plays.

Although the implementation lacks elegance, the mechanics make up for it.

30 of 61 gamers found this helpful
“Hard to pick up, but easy once you have.”

This game has a lot of strategy going on for it. Knowing when to Explore, Settle, or Develop is a big part of gaining the 12 cards in front of you and collecting VPs. It’s a little overwhelming at first, and the first game or two can take a while while new players learn the ropes, but once they have, the game goes very quickly.

I would classify this as a more “gamer’s game,” and not something you would play with your family.

Noble
30 of 63 gamers found this helpful
“Great Idea!”

This is a great idea for a game. It is nice to see all your plans come together in front of you. The play is simple to follow and once you get the hang of the symbols it can be easy to decipher something new.

Although the bad is that there is almost no player interaction other then the choosing of action cards and hoping you choose properly for the best results.

I Am What I Am
30 of 64 gamers found this helpful
“Awesome Card Game”

As others have mentioned in there reviews this game is very hard to pick up and will take a number of games, the game opens it self when you start to recognises some of the cards and form an idea of the sort of direction of play.

Once you have the general feel for the game the expansions are a must (must buy in order) even just for the extra cards.

Critic - Level 1
30 of 65 gamers found this helpful
“Ok 2 player game”

The base game, with 2 players presents a moderate difficulty game that is not overwhelmed by the size of the deck. However, this breaks down as players and expansions are added (don’t try to teach someone to play with a full version).

Gamer - Level 1
30 of 69 gamers found this helpful
“Difficult to get used to all those symbols”

But once you get over it this is an excellent game.
Plays fast.

Better with 2P in my opinion.

My First Game Tip
30 of 70 gamers found this helpful
“Not as confusing as the hype”

After all of the “it’s so confusing” comments, I was a bit scared of the first game. It didn’t seem nearly as confusing to me as the hype led me to believe.

Loads of fun, with lots of variations.

Add a Review for "Race for the Galaxy"

You must be to add a review.

× Visit Your Profile