DungeonQuest - Board Game Box Shot

DungeonQuest

| Published: 2010
205 21 7
DungeonQuest title

DungeonQuest is a re-imagining of the classic board game of dungeon exploration for 1-4 players. Set in the vibrant fantasy realm of Terrinoth (first popularized by Runebound), DungeonQuest retains the peril, tension, and brutality of the beloved original game while updating both mechanical and thematic elements. Players take on the roles of brave (or foolish) heroes willing to brave the legendary dangers of Dragonfire Dungeon. Fortune awaits those able to venture into the dragon’s lair...

In DungeonQuest, Players must guide their heroes through the twisting halls of Dragonfire Dungeon in pursuit of unimaginable riches hoarded by the Dragon Lord Kalladra. Whoever can amass the most wealth and make it out of the dungeon before the closing of the doors seals their doom will emerge victorious. However, merely surviving the harrowing dungeon is a feat all its own...

Dare you face the dragon's challenge?

User Reviews (11)

Filter by: Order by:
PC Game Fan
I play yellow
21 of 22 gamers found this helpful
“This game takes your lunch money on pizza day.”

Dungeonquest is a cruel, albeit fun dungeon crawl. You need to have the right frame of mind though.
You have to be able to laugh when, after making it to the treasure room, on your way out of the dungeon, you get turned around, fall into a pit, have your torch go out get bitten by a vampire and then ultimately die, beheaded by a vicious trap. Hilarious , no?
Most of the things that happen to you are completely random. You roll attribute tests to avoid some pitfalls, while others just happen to you because you draw the wrong card. The only decisions you make are where you want to go, which results in a random encounter and room, and when you want to try and leave this deathtrap of a dungeon. I love it. It has great replay value due to the variety of components and the randomness. No game plays the same, except for you getting mauled.
It’s fun to play solo over and over (games take less than an hour) and when you win, you get a real feeling of accomplishment.
The combat bogs down a bit in a multiplayer game but goes fast in a solo game, which is how this game shines.
Fantasy Flight included baggies to hold all the components (even the board) which are gorgeous. The board is thick, the room tiles are thick and varied in art, the character cards are cool, the minis are fantastic and the card art is great, phenomenal production all around.
Plus, the characters come with components allowing them to be used in Descent (1st ed.), Runebound and Runewars.
An exciting, shallow, gorgeous, cruel game. It’s good fun multiplayer and peerless solo. Those who hate randomness or games lacking strategy should avoid it.

Knight-errant
Cooperative Game Explorer
Amateur Advisor
Gamer - Level 6
23 of 25 gamers found this helpful
“The best game you can have fun dying to!”

Let me start off by saying that this game has a reputation. And that reputation is, in a word, Brutal. No one I have ever spoken to has called this game easy, or even fair. But that just makes me smile. In the gaming world, there have to be games that offer a significant challenge, games that you just can’t breeze through because you know all the tricks. DungeonQuest will kick you in the teeth and laugh in your face if you let it, but you can just as easily laugh in the face of danger in turn, and that’s what makes this game enjoyable; all the absurd ways you can die in this game.

To start off, you’re trying to collect as much treasure from this dungeons before the day ends and the dungeon closes. Right away you might ask yourself, “What? Dungeons can open and close like a mall?” Well, this one can. Apparently, this dungeon only stays open for a day, and when it closes, it closes for good, trapping all adventurers inside with a dragon that, apparently, can’t be killed. That in itself is amusing to me, but wait, it gets better.

You have a choice of characters you can select, each with their different skill sets and special abilities. There are four attributes to each character, strength, agility, armor, and luck. Often you will have to test one of these four attributes whenever you encounter an obstacle or a trap. Interestingly enough, the strength attribute has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with fighting monsters. That’s right…your big, beefy dwarf is just as effective against monsters as your spindly wizard. Why is that, you ask? Because combat is essentially done with cards in what can loosely be defined as a game of War combined with Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Let me explain this combat thing in greater detail. You play cards from a combat deck you receive at the beginning of combat, and if you beat your opponent’s card value, it goes on his or her damage stack. If your opponent beats yours, it goes on your damage stack. If you tie, nothing really happens. However, if you play a card that your opponent has the right symbol for (or vice versa), they can play a counterattack card to add its damage value to the total value. If they beat your value with the new value, both the damage card and the counterattack card go to the damage stack. And of course vice versa. This can make combat really short or really long, depending upon random luck and the strength of your draw.

By the way, healing? You take your chances with that as well. There is no such thing as a healing potion. Instead, we have the unstable potion, which you sometimes find. It can heal you…IF you make the right roll. A roll of snake eyes on two dice will kill you if you drink it. Anything less than an 8 will hurt you or do nothing, which means that you better roll good if you want to stay alive. And sometimes the game doesn’t give you the luxury…you just have to bite the bullet and hope that the dice gods smile on you. There are other methods to heal, but all of them are just as risky or worse.

Here’s my favorite part of this game: You have to journey to the center of the dungeon to try and get at the dragon’s hoard. But as you move and explore, you can encounter rooms that force you to make tests on your attributes. Some are fairly benign, and the game is forgiving with some, allowing you to roll again next turn if you fail, with a determination token added in to increase your odds of making the roll. But some, like the bottomless pit, you better make the roll the first time, because you won’t get a second chance. You fail, you die, end of story. And let me tell you, there’s nothing quite like having to make a luck roll with a character of luck 4 (luck 6 means you have to roll 6 or less on two dice). Those are some hard odds right there.

The game can produce some epic stories, though. My favorite so far is one I witnessed; playing with a group of four friends, one of them actually managed to navigate to one room away from the dragon’s chambers. He attempted to open up the door, and triggered a swinging blade trap, which killed his character instantly. This was after he had been delayed for three rounds trying to lift a portcullus just to get to the room. It was the game giving him the proverbial middle finger, and we all had a good laugh about that, because it was just so like DungeonQuest to do something that mean.

This game is in the upper echelon of the challenge rating, because not only do you have to get the most gold, you have to get out before the dungeon seals you in. Which means you have to know when to cut your losses. It can be a victory against the game just to get out of the dungeon at all, really. But don’t let the difficulty of this game dissuade you. I for one embrace it, because some games SHOULDN’T be easy to win. When you beat a game that is difficult, it makes you feel like you accomplished something great, and this game is just a lot of fun to play in general.

Gamer - Level 1
18 of 22 gamers found this helpful
“ Push yer luck ,Fun ,Dungeon crawler lite”

I usually don’t like games with too much luck, because I want to feel like I am actually in control, but Dungeonquest is a game I don’t mind being at the mercy of the dice.
I had no expectations when I purchased it, as I really only bought it to get the hero figures and stat cards to use with Runewars (which i love. And yes I am quite the dork, I am aware), but I was pleasantly surprised by this game. It is not deep, and can be frustrating if you die on your second turn, but man, is it fun. You randomly flip tiles as you explore and draw cards from various decks which may be treasures helpful items or creatures to fight. It’s quite the random, chaotic game, but still fun, I say again. Basically you try to make it out of the dungeon with the most treasure, ALIVE. That is the key word here. Death lurks around every corner, and sometimes it’s just instant death. Nothing you could’ve done to stop it. I heard someone say this game is like a slasher film, it’s not deep, but it’s a thrilling ride while it lasts.
The randomness will be a turnoff for some, but it plays quick, most games last 1/2 hour to 45 min, so I say give it a shot, and don’t be expecting Descent style dungeon crawling, and just enjoy it for what it is.

enjoy

20 of 25 gamers found this helpful
“If you like to make your own changes to games for improvement this game welcomes it!”

This game with its basic setting of rules makes for a rather hard challenge with a fair bit of complication for something that didn’t need to be so.

But with that being said the game states very clearly in the manual that you are entirely welcome to change it and make the game suit your style.

One of my largest gripes was a very complicated combat. Player turns go by so quickly in this game that when you hit a combat it would stall the game by as much as 10 mins trying to figure things out. When your turn could take 20 seconds to finish. I decided to redesign the combat using a rock paper scissors using the games own cards. It should make combat more simple and very easy to understand.

If you like to think out side of the box for fun. This is totally the game to try it with.

I play purple
Petroglyph
Baron / Baroness
16 of 21 gamers found this helpful
“As close to a board game version of Nethack one can get”

This game is as ruthless as the PC game Nethack. It does not give. a. single. flying. flip. if you live or die. Killing monsters yields no reward other than the feeling of relief that you did not get murdered (or perhaps the horror that you did not get murdered). Getting to the Dragon’s Lair only means you might end up with some decent treasure to gaze at when you die! The best feeling you get while playing is when you draw an “Empty Room” card.

Seriously, this game will kill you. In varied and gruesome ways. My particular favorite is stumbling headlong into a rotating room that butts up against the outside wall. Search twice in hopes of that ever elusive secret door. If you fail, well, you starve to death in a round room.

In about 80% of the games that I played, someone died on their very first step into the dungeon. No, I am not kidding. The first step – dead.

The combat system is a bit complicated (unnecessarily so in my opinion), so I suggest going over that in detail before starting if someone in the game has not played before. Other than that, this is a game that is very easy to pick up just by playing it.

This may sound like a negative review, but nothing could be further from the truth. I LOVE this game! None of the hand holding, coddling and monster milquetoasting that is rampant in other games. Random death from every corner for no reason whatsoever awaits you with sharp nasty teeth. I strongly suggest playing it with people who will revel in how the other players get ripped to bits, eaten alive and charred.

In the end you can all compare notes in the Locker Room of the Afterlife. May the richest corpse win! :D

Count / Countess
Senior
Went to Gen Con 2012
I play black
17 of 30 gamers found this helpful
“Good intro to fantasy gaming”

DungeonQuest is a nifty game for introducing younger players to the hack-n-slash aspect of role-playing. They’ll learn that there are certain actions they can take that work better or worse for their type of character. They’ll feel the thrill of knocking off some lightweight enemies, and facing bosses.

DungeonQuest predates any of the modern cooperative play games, so players won’t get the sense of what it’s like to have a party that works together.

Pro
* Nice bits
* Easy to pick up – little setup time
* Fairly balanced

Con
* Not a deep game – won’t hold the attention of experienced gamers

Canada
I'm a Real Person
6 of 14 gamers found this helpful
“Love The Game”

I love DungeonQuest.

Sure it may deadly and you may not come out with more than the shirt on your back, but that is what makes you want to keep coming back time after time….to finally get the treasure and make it out.

Pulling random tiles can make you nervous as you don’t know where you will be headed next in the dungeon. The various card decks paint the story as you delve deeper into the castle looking for treasure. Will the door be locked? Is there a trap in the room? What is waiting for me around the next corner? Is the bottomless pit really bottomless? Will the dragon wake up?

Coming out of the dungeon with treasure feels very rewarding, as you may not make it the next time.

There are a few cards that you might call extremely deadly, but overall this game is great (the deadly cards did not stop me from going back for more). I have added a couple of house rules, but they really do not change the feel of the game. I have also taken most of the “adventurers” from the GW version and added them to give more choices of playable characters (instead of the 4 out of the box).

Gamer - Level 1
8 of 24 gamers found this helpful
“The Fantasy Flight version of rock paper scissors”

This game is the simplest game mechanics of all time. Move, draw a tile, get a card, do what it says. Very little real strategies and everything is up to chance BUT I LOVE IT!

The little cardboard tiles are like crack and I can’t get enough. I’m ashamed, but I also addicted my girlfriend on this game and she hates elves and wizards hats and all that BS.

So, if you like simple drugs with no thought but a great high, buy Dungeonquest!

7 of 29 gamers found this helpful
“I loved this at Gen-Con... then I tried to play it at home :(”

We bought this game after having the best time playing it at Gen-Con a few years ago. Once we got it home and tried to play it ourselves, we realized it was quite confusing without an expert leading us through the game. I agree Fire-soul that combat is extremely confusing. I wish I could find the desire to try to play it again with some modified combat house rules.

Gamer - Level 3
Noble
5 of 25 gamers found this helpful
“Not finished yet”

I have not actually played this yet. I do not have this new version of the game.
Here in Malaysia, it is very difficult to find games and then more difficult to buy them. There are few places that sell the games, and those that do sell them for very high prices.
I, before the new version came out, downloaded, printed and started constructing dungeon quest to be played as a group game, or to be played as a solo game. The reason that I am not finished with the construction is that I lost motivation. There are almost 400 pieces to put together, and that does not include anything from the expansions.
When I finish this, I’m going to enjoy it very much. It is a challenging game, and it has been a challenge to construct.

I have now finished construction of this game, at long last. The game is a lot of fun. Very difficult, quite random. I am proud of my PnP copy of the old game.

I do not really like the combat, paper rock scissors with cards, so I use the dice rules for single player from the rulebook instead.

Setup takes a bit, and the game can be very fast, you usually die after all. I suggest getting this one out when there are more people around to help set it up and to play it for awhile before you put it away. Otherwise it will really seem like a big chore.

USA
I'm Completely Obsessed
0 of 28 gamers found this helpful
“good easy game”

well …. if you dont hate losing this is a very good game … hard to win though

Add a Review for "DungeonQuest"

You must be to add a review.

× Visit Your Profile